Friday 24 September 2021

When I broke my arm

It was around 12, noon, 28th of April 2021, the West Bengal election time, new Government was about to be elected. I was doing work from home. The meeting ended a few minutes ago and I thought of watering the plants on the balcony so I filled a mug from the bathroom and went to the balcony, finished my job and when returning I slipped on a tiny H ₂O ₂ residual(we call it water) mixed with detergent that splashed during the process of filling the water in the mug.

Anyway, within a few seconds, I found myself lying down on the floor with my right arm which did not look usual, and I knew there was something wrong with it. I broke my right-hand elbow joint(I will describe it in medical terms later ). Anyway, my parents were worried and my friend came from her home, though it was a work day for her too. Me and my brother rushed to a doctor (not so)nearby clinic at CIT road. Before that, I informed my manager that I would not be able to work for at least two weeks. Anyway, in the evening I visited another surgeon with the help of her(that friend’s) father, and I decided to go for surgery at advised by Dr. Mondal.

During these periods I was not afraid or unhappy. People thought it might be a sad thing happened to me, but let me clear that it was just an unavoidable situation. Attaching sadness to it is a dangerous thing. I was not wearing the Chappals(slippers) so I slipped. I was making jokes about my situation. I also found that it was good that I had it, if it were someone other than me from my family then it could be worse, as they don’t know the Vipassana to stay calm. I will write down the journey in detail later. How the situation was in the private nursing home during COVID-19, the people and workers there, how was the surgery, all the things.

The main thing that I want to convey is that I was left with only two options. I could pity myself or I could make jokes about it and be happy. I chose the latter one and the after-surgery recovery time was reduced due to the positive mindset. I will have an issue with that hand in future, but that should not be a reason to be sad, I don’t have time to be sad about this kind of thing. People are dying of COVID, war etc etc, If those could be the reason to be sad then it is fine, as I can do something for those like donating money, spreading awareness etc. But for medical things, this is the work of a medical practitioner. I joined the office after 10 days of surgery and started working for half a day. My coworkers helped me also so as my team lead. Also, my family and that friend helped a lot.

So whatever the situation it may be you always have options to set your mind to, choose wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consumerism: the vicious circle

“Consumerism  is a social and economic order in which the aspirations of many individuals include the acquisition of goods and services beyo...